Tenant FAQs

Your questions answered.

Common questions for tenants throughout your tenancy.

Get in touch

How can I apply for a property?

Preferably you can apply through 1Form where you will create your free 1Form account at www.1form.com.au. This is a free digital application form that will enable you to submit your application once you’ve viewed the property by using the address.

Alternatively, you can fill out the PDF tenancy application. Once completed in full, this form can be returned to us by email, or in person at the property inspection. Contact us if you have problems completing or returning the application form.

What documentation do I need to apply?

Please check the application form for all the detail that we require. Most importantly every person above the age of 18 needs to complete a separate application.

How long does it take to hear back after applying?

We will endeavour to have an answer to you within 24 – 48 hours. If your application is approved, you will be required to pay a minimum of 2 weeks rent to secure the property. Once paid, this amount is non-refundable.

The better you complete the application, the quicker the processing will be. If we have to chase up documents or references this is the normal reason for a delay past the above.

Can I apply for a property without seeing the property in person?

We require all applicants to inspect the property in person before submitting a tenancy application. We understand that there are occasionally circumstances which prevent this so we also allow you the option to send someone on your behalf or arrange a video viewing. Unfortunately if you don’t meet this criteria, we cannot process your application. Similarly, we will not process your application 'pending an inspection'.

I would like to rent a property, but do not have a job. Will this make it hard for me to rent?

When you rent a property, the major requirement is that you are able to prove you can meet your rent payments and pay the initial bond - this is usually equivalent to four weeks' rent.

If you have a considerable amount of savings, this may not be an issue - although you may be at a disadvantage if you cannot show a source of income. If you are receiving assistance from another source - such as Centrelink payments - you should provide verification of this.

What are the different ways to pay my rent?

Our preferred methods are listed in your lease agreement and all have a required number or name for you.

It is very important to follow these instructions and the required reference so that we can easily account for your payments.

In addition to the rent, what other costs are tenants expected to pay?

The most common items that you will need to factor into your tenancy are; Electricity, Internet, Water (excluding connections cost), Gas.
Other items may include; Hot water, pool or garden servicing.

Please refer to your lease agreement as this will outline all detail.

Am I responsible for water consumption?

Landlords are allowed to pass on the full water consumption costs to tenants provided all the minimum criteria have been met. This includes; the rental premises are individually metered (or water is delivered by vehicle), the rental premises are water efficient, and the tenancy agreement states the tenant must pay for water consumption. In the instance the premises is not water efficient the landlord can pass on any excess water consumption charges in accordance with the terms of the tenancy agreement. As each property is different we recommend asking your property manager prior to commencing your tenancy with us.

Ready to move in, what now?

Upon completion you will be provided with sets of keys and accompanying copies of your lease documents. You will be given your online login in details so that you can check your tenancy details online 24/7 as well as your dedicated property managers contact details.

Accepting & Signing the Lease

Once you have been accepted for a property we will make an initial phone call to advise that your application has been successful and to arrange a time for you to come and sign the lease. In order to secure the property we require all individuals who will be on the lease to meet within 24-48 hours of being approved so that we can stop advertising the property.

When you meet with us we will carefully explain the details of the lease including our expectations and obligations. As we need to explain all your tenancy details thoroughly, please allocate up to 45 minutes for your tenancy induction. We will also explain our zero tolerance policy for late rent payment, the bond lodgement process, action for emergency repairs and help to arrange payment methods. At this point you will be required to sign the lease, pay two weeks rent in advance and pay the agreed bond amount (the equivalent of four weeks rent in most cases).

What do I do if I have lost my keys or lock myself out?

Unfortunately should you lose your keys or lock yourself out of your premises, Connect Realty cannot guarantee a key will be available from our office for replacement. If you require a call out from Connect Realty during office hours a fee of $55+GST will be payable onsite or $110+GST out of office hours. Connect Realty cannot guarantee a representative from our office will be available to attend & therefor we recommend contacting a locksmith at your own cost.

Is it my responsibility to maintain the smoke alarms?

Under the Fire and Rescue Service Act 1990, both tenants and landlords have responsibilities for smoke alarms in their rental properties. Upon the commencement of your tenancy Connect Realty will arrange for the property to be made compliant in accordance with legislation. Landlords have obligations to install, clean and test smoke alarms and replace batteries before the start or renewal of a tenancy. Tenants have obligations to clean, test and replace batteries during the tenancy.

Do I have to be home when you attend to do a routine inspection?

If you wish to be home for your routine inspection you may choose to do so, however it is not necessary. Two months into your tenancy you will be issued with an entry notice advising a date and two hour time frame in which one of our agents will enter to complete an inspection. Depending on the agreement signed with the landlord, a routine inspection will be completed every three to four months during your tenancy.

Is it my responsibility to change light bulbs during the tenancy?

The Residential Tenancy Act does not specifically refer to the supply of light bulbs or the maintenance of light bulbs. However industry standards hold that the Lessor is responsible for maintaining specialised bulbs such as fluorescent tubing and expensive globes, whilst the tenant is responsible for arranging the replacement of everyday non specialty globes.

Am I allowed to put up picture hooks?

Before you make any alternations or additions to your rental property - including picture hooks - you should contact the agent or owner directly. It is wise to do this in writing, specifying exactly where you want the picture hooks to be placed.

How do I request a pet application?

Please email your agent to request this and we can first confirm this and then send you through the form needed. The forms differ and we may require items such as; photo, council record of registration, and possibly need record of immunisations/worming etc.

How do I arrange any repairs that might be needed?

You need to advise the owner or agent of all requests for maintenance or repairs, preferably in writing (email). Maintenance forms for this purpose are often provided when you first move into the property.

It is essential that you do not attempt to repair things yourself - you have a responsibility to advise the agent or owner of maintenance matters that require attention. Your lease will include provisions for how you should handle repairs or maintenance requests.

What should I do if urgent or emergency repairs are needed at the property?

Generally, emergency repairs are required when the occupants' health and safety - or the property itself - is threatened.
You should urgently try to contact your agent and ensure you give them the opportunity to arrange for the emergency repairs, as long as they are completed in the most urgent and expedient manner possible.

If you cannot contact your agent, you may have been supplied with a list of tradespeople nominated to handle emergencies when you signed your lease please refer to this.

What is an emergency repair?

• Burst water service or a serious water service leak
• Blocked or broken lavatory service if you don’t have a secondary
• Serious roof leak
• Gas leak
• Dangerous electrical fault
• Flooding or serious flood damage
• Serious storm, fire or impact damage
• Failure or breakdown of the gas, electricity or water supply to the premises
• Failure or breakdown of an essential service or hot water, cooking or heating appliance
• Fault or damage that makes the premises unsafe or insecure
• Fault or damage likely to injure a person, damage property or unduly inconvenience a resident of the premises
• Serious fault in a staircase, lift or other common area or premises that unduly inconveniences a resident in gaining access to, or using, the premises
• All other repairs are considered to be routine repairs.

If some of my possessions are destroyed in a fire at my rental property, will my landlord pay for them?

As the tenant, it is your responsibility to insure your own personal belongings - the owner is responsible for insuring the fixtures and fittings included in the property at the time of letting, as well as the premises.

If you do not have home contents insurance for your personal belongings, you may need to bear the cost of replacing your possessions.

What should I do if I am temporarily unable to pay my rent?

It is essential for you to contact your agent as quickly as possible if there will be a problem with your rent payment.

Ignoring the problem will not make it go away - and you may find that you are able to come to an understanding with the agent if your inability to pay rent is only temporary.

Communication is essential in these circumstances and it is important for you to continue to keep the agent informed of your circumstances.

What happens if I pay my rent late?

We understand there are at times unforeseen circumstances that may result in delayed rental payments, however Connect Realty has a strict rent arrears procedure that will be maintained regardless of the reason. These procedures are followed to protect the Landlords investment. If you happen to fall into arrears please contact your property manager immediately to discuss. These actions form part of our arrears management procedure and will occur at the time specified:

1-7 days - Reminder text, phone call or letter.
8 days - Notice to Remedy Breach issued with 7 days to remedy the breach.
17 days - Notice to Lease issued with 7 days notice to vacate the property.

I want to break my lease, but have another person who wants to take over the property. What do I do?

You should also be aware that your agent or owner has no automatic obligation to agree to your request - the new person must complete an application form, provide references and carry out all the other steps that are necessary for anyone to be approved as a tenant.

If this application is approved, the new person should not move into the property until a final inspection has been carried out and the necessary arrangements are made with your owner or agent for the release of your bond.

Any agreed handovers must be done correctly and legally - you and the other person should contact your agent as soon as possible and let them know what you want to do.

What happens if I need to leave the property before my lease expires?

Firstly please notify us that you are seeking to break your lease so that we can help to find another tenant to take over the lease.

The more time that we have as notice the better so that we can advertise to minimise the time that the property will be vacant.

In this event, you are responsible for all reasonable expenses incurred by the owner or agent to locate a replacement tenant. The re-letting fee of one week’s rent plus GST* and the smoke alarm inspection fee are charged to the tenant.

You would also need to continue paying rent until a new tenant is located and enters into a new lease agreement. You and the agent are both able to actively seek a new tenant - but this individual must complete all normal processes and checks before they are approved.

It is very important to keep your property looking inspection ready so that it rents out fast when we show people through.

Do not leave the property without notifying us - this will likely result in the loss of your bond and could also create a bad rental history record, which may make it more difficult for you to rent again in the future.

What happens if the owners of the property I am renting decide to sell?

There are a number of different scenarios that can occur if the owner decides to sell - these can depend on the expiry and terms of your lease agreement.

For example, if you are within the term of your lease agreement and the property is sold to another investor, you continue to have your rights to the property as a tenant when the new owner assumes the responsibility as your landlord.

If the property is sold to someone who wishes to live there, you will be given notice to vacate - this will usually give you plenty of time to arrange your next property.

As an existing tenant, we are perfectly-placed to help you find another rental property that suits your budget and preferences.

What happens when the lease expires?

You will find details of the expiry date in your lease agreement. If this date passes, your lease becomes a 'continuing periodic agreement'. This ensures all parties are bound by the original lease terms. You can also request a lease renewal.

The owner of the property has the right to renew the lease, let arrangements continue under the terms of the original lease or issue the appropriate notice requesting that you vacate the property. It is important for you to discuss whether or not you want to continue living in the property with the us well before the expiry date of your lease, which allows everyone to make the necessary plans and arrangements.

How do I get my bond back?

When you have vacated your property and handed keys back we will conduct your final inspection. The condition of the property will be closely compared to the entry condition report signed at the start of your tenancy. You will then be contacted regarding any damages (not considered fair wear and tear) and any missed cleaning items etc. If the premises are not cleaned to the agent’s satisfaction within a reasonable time frame following the final inspection, a professional cleaner will be engaged to clean and the cost will be deducted from the bond.

If the agent and tenant agree on the bond to be refunded, Connect Realty will prepare the Refund of Rental Bond form to be signed by all tenants and submitted to the RTA. Once this is complete, you will typically be refunded the agreed amount by the RTA inside of 14 days. Please note, if all outstanding funds are paid prior to vacating a full bond refund can be processed by our agency within days of vacating the premises.

We have established a proud reputation for our reliability, integrity and our ability to achieve amazing results for our sellers, buyers, landlords and tenants.
Shop 3, 121 Merthyr Rd, 
New Farm QLD 4005
(Entrance via Alford Street)
(07) 3222 3444
The latest news and properties straight to your inbox.
© Copyright 2024 Connect Realty. All Rights Reserved.
bars linkedin facebook pinterest youtube rss twitter instagram facebook-blank rss-blank linkedin-blank pinterest youtube twitter instagram